I am a huge fan of Microdermabrasion. I consistently went to a facialist for about 6 months leading up to my wedding and she said that the best thing for my skin would be microdermabrasion (as opposed to a facial). As a result, my skin looked incredible for those few months. Unfortunately, this beauty regimen was way too expensive for me to maintain so I started researching at-home microdermabrasion. The product that got the best reviews and claimed to “mimic an in-office procedure” was the Dr. Brandt Microdermabrasion Skin Exfoliant. I’ve been using this product for 3 years and I absolutely love it. It does almost as good of a job as my esthetician did.
I recently received an amazing package from the brand Derma E. I’ve been hearing a lot about this brand on Instagram so I was thrilled. The product I was most excited about was their Microdermabrasion Scrub with Dead Sea Salt. I used this product and immediately fell in love. It seemed to be almost identical to the Dr. Brandt scrub. So, for the past few times I have been applying the Dr. Brandt scrub to one half of my face and the Derma E scrub to the other side of my face. Here is how they compare:
- They both have a lemon scent, which I find to be very enjoyable. The Dr. Brandt scrub is a little more subtle than the Derma E. As I happen to LOVE this scent – I really enjoy the Derma E scrub.
- The Dr. Brandt scrub is a little more fine than the Derma E one. Basically, the Derma E product feels slightly “rougher” and “harsher”. So, if you have sensitive skin you will probably enjoy the Dr. Brandt one more as it is a little less abrasive. If you want something that feels very strong, you will probably enjoy the Derma E one more.
- Overall, each side of my skin looked basically identical after using these products. So, I would say they perform very very similarly.
Here is the kicker… both products are 2 oz but the Dr. Brandt scrub retails for $79 (at Sephora) while the Derma E scrub retails for $29.99 (at Ulta). I could not believe the price different. So, I wanted to do a little research to see if there was something “behind the scenes” causing the price difference (quality of ingredients, etc.)
- Dr. Brandt: Sulfate Free, Phthalates Free
- Derma E: 100% Vegan, Cruelty Free, Paraben Free, Sulfate Free, Mineral Oil Free, Lanolin Free, Gluten Free, GMO Free.
As I am not a licensed esthetician, I cannot review the ingredients and tell you which one is “better”. With that being said, I will absolutely be repurchasing the Derma E product over the Dr. Brandt product as it performs just as well and is a fraction of the cost.