This post is a follow-up to my earlier blog post “Why I Am Downsizing My Makeup Collection”. If you haven’t read that post, be sure to check it out here.
Here are the makeup products that I have said “bye” to (so far) in 2016:
- Makeup Forever Step 1 Primer (Redness Reducing) – this product did absolutely nothing for me.
- No. 7 Beautifully Matte Primer – never reached for this.
- Jane Iredale Absence Oil Control Primer – I feel kind of bad about this one because the Jane Iredale customer service was SO amazing. I bought this after Wayne Goss said that it was the best makeup product of 2015. (So, of course I had to have it). I thought it was weird that it was in a pan and I wasn’t a huge fan of how it applied. Had I purchased this earlier in the year, I probably would have kept it. However, I bought this product recently and I was already starting to feel guilty about the size of my collection. Plus, it was almost $40. I reached out to the Jane Iredale to return the product and they immediately refunded me my money AND told me to keep the product (to either give it a second chance, or to give to a friend to try). I feel guilty that I sold it and made money off of it, but hopefully someone else will enjoy it a lot more than me. On a side note, Jane Iredale’s customer service is the best I have come across in the cosmetics industry.
- Dior Airflash Foundation in 202 – ****I freaking LOVE this foundation****. However, I bought TWO of these in the wrong color (202 is way too light for me). I am using one because I love this foundation so much but I am going to sell one and then repurchase the correct shade. (still available)
- Laura Mercier High Coverage Concealer – this was the first concealer that I bought and it is not super creamy. It has great coverage but I have found that I really enjoy the Urban Decay Naked Concealer, which is much creamier and easier to blend out.
- Nars Radiant Creamy Concealer in Biscuit – this shade was way too dark for my under-eyes. It was perfect for my face but I wear such full coverage foundation that I don’t really find myself needing to apply concealer.
- Maybelline Instant Age Rewind Concealer – I like my Urban Decay Naked Concealer more.
- Elf HD Powder – this is a prime example of why I need to stop buying drugstore products. This product was good and the price was right, but I ALWAYS reached for my Laura Mercier Translucent Powder over this one. Plus, it’s huge and bulky. Bye-bye!
- L’Oreal Infallbile Powder – I literally never used this powder. I would always reach for my high end powder products over this one.
- Coty Airspun Loose Powder – ditto. Also, this smells weird.
- Anastasia Contour Kit – this one was hard to let go of. I LOVE the banana shade. However, as soon as I bought the Kat Von D Shade and Light Palette – I never wanted to use this one. The KVD palette is so much more pigmented and the contour shades actually show up on my skin.
- Nars Limited Edition Tahiti Bronzer Laguna – I LOVE my Laguna bronzer. However, I have so many bronzers that I am worried that by the time I go make it through the normal-sized Laguna bronzer that I already own – this one will be expired. (still available)
- Tarte Blush in Blushing Bride – I really enjoy Tarte blushes. However, once I bought Tarte – Exposed I NEVER wore Blushing Bride. Time-to-go!
- Bobbi Brown Limited Edition Pink Cheek Palette – I love Bobbi Brown blushes and own 5 of them. These are the shades that I reach for the least. (still available)
- Milani Romantic Rose Blush – I LOVED these Milani rose blushes (so pretty) but I never used them. My blush collection is huge so I plan to essentially get rid of MOST of my drugstore blushes.
- Milani Awakening Rose Blush and American Beauty Blush – (still available)
- It Cosmetics Radiant in Rose Blush – Just never reached for it.
- It Cosmetics Marvelous in Mauve Blush – (still available)
- Lorac The Skinny Eyeshadow Palette in Black – this palette is fine, but I ALWAYS reached for my Lorac Pro or Lorac Pro Matte Palettes before I used this one.
- The Balm Nude ‘Tude Palette – I couldn’t find my “go to” look with this palette so I never used it. Some colors are very pretty, but a lot were colors that I NEVER used.
- Tartelette Palette – I don’t get the hype around this palette, I absolutely hated it. I felt like the shadows were chalky and didn’t have great pigmentation. I also discovered that I like warm tones better than cool tones so I never wanted to use this palette.
- Tartelette 2 Palette – I was CONVINCED I would like this palette so much more than the original. The colors looked GORGEOUS and I liked the color scheme way better than the original. I also liked that it had some shimmer shades in it. Every time that I opened this palette to use it, I would just stare at it – completely stumped. I could never figure out a good combination to use. I posted about this on my Instagram and got a ton of recommendations. I ended up trying all those color combinations (back to back) one night and realized that while they were pretty, they just weren’t “me”.
- NYX Love in Paris Eyeshadow Palette – I literally never wore this palette. The colors were right up my alley but anytime I wanted to use neutral browns I reached for my Kat Von D Shade and Light Eye Palette instead of this one.
- MAC Lipstick in Bombshell – I really need to stop buying lip products. I typically don’t even wear them except for on the weekends. I own 5 other MAC lipsticks that I like better than this shade (Brave, Taupe, Faux, Creme in Your Coffee, Mehr), so it needed to go.
- MAC Lipstick in Ruby Woo – I bought this lipstick for my company Christmas party but my mom saw me in and said it didn’t look good on me. LOL.
- Nars Lipgloss in Super Orgasm – I never reached for this. A little too glittery and sparkly for me.
- Gerard Cosmetics Lipgloss in Buttercream – Just never reached for it.
- Gerard Cosmetics Lipstick in Buttercup – I bought this because it was created by Jaclyn Hill but the packaging is super cheap and I never used it.
- YSL Volupte Sheer Candy Lipstick – I almost kept this one because the packaging is gorgeous and it was my only YSL lip product. However, I bought this product after hearing that Emily Maynard loved it. For those of you don’t know, she was the Bachelorette and has COMPLETELY different coloring than me. This lip product just never suited me but I did actually get a ton of use out of it.
- Dose of Colors Liquid Lipstick in Stone – OMG this product looked horrible on me. It made me look like I was completely dead.
- Bite Beauty High Pigment Pencil in Bouquet – This is too pink for me. I absolutely love the product though and as soon as this sells I will purchase a shade that is more flattering on my skin tone. (still available)
- Lorac Lipgloss in Andy – Never reach for it. (still available)
- House of Lashes False Eyelashes (Bambi, Pixie Lust and Noir Fairy) – These were purchased during the time that I thought I needed to own EVERYTHING that ANYONE raved about. I still have yet to master wearing false eyelashes, so when I do wear them – it’s the Ardell Demi-Wispies. This is because they are inexpensive (so it doesn’t matter if I mess up) and they don’t look super extreme (also, in case I mess up). I am baffled at the fact that I felt the need to buy all of these super expensive, extreme looking lashes.
- Laura Geller Spackle Tinted Under Make-Up Primer – my mother-in-law gave this to me and I have no idea what to do with it.
- Shisheido Eyelash Curler – I never use now that I have my adorable Limited Edition Tarte eyelash curler
- Tony Moly Pocket Bunny Sleek Mist – I honestly have no earthly idea why I bought this product. I never used it and I have so many makeup sprays (MAC Fix Plus, Urban Decay All Nighter) that I love.
- Too Faced Shadow Insurance Primer – I never use this now that I discovered the amazing MAC eyeshadow primer.
- Urban Decay Eyeshadow Prier – ditto.
There are still products in my collection that I plan to sell on Poshmark but these were the ones that clearly needed to go. I have more drugstore products that I am going to get rid of – but some of the are so inexpensive that they aren’t “worth” selling.
PS for anyone wondering – you can use 90% alcohol to sanitize used makeup products 🙂